We know fall just started but there are actions you can take now to prevent winter hair damage. Once that time of year rolls around where you transition from cold outside weather to dry indoor heating, your hair game is bound to suffer from split ends to breakage. Start a care routine now to reduce your winter woes. Here is what you can do:
- Shampoo Less: Too much shampooing can lead to an itchy and flaky scalp. This can also smother your hair’s ability to grow. Instead, try shampooing a little less and if need be, turn to a dandruff specific shampoo to address flakes or scalp issues.
- Oil-based moisturizer: Lock in extra moisture to protect your hair against blasts of dry hair with an oil-based moisturizer. When hair is brittle, it is more likely to break or split but using a heavier, oil-based moisturizer can allow for more protection, particularly for textured hair.
- Deep Treatment: We recommend performing a weekly deep moisturizing treatment to replace lost moisture and prevent over-drying. Slathering on a good conditioner for approximately 30 minutes once a week can allow the proper amount of moisture to penetrate the hair shaft and prevent dry hair.
- Combat Static: A leave-in conditioner can guard against static instead of the dryer sheet route. Make sure your hair is well hydrated and regularly conditioned, then lock in extra moisture with a good leave-in.
- Reduce the Heat: Particularly in winter, try and reduce the use of heat in your style routine. If it’s a must, use heat protecting products to prevent breakage. Instead of styling, turn to styles such as braids, buns, and ponytails!